Whichever realm of media studies you call your own, we are honoured to see, hear, and experience your take on it.
Current undergraduate UBC students from the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses are eligible to submit up to 4 original pieces each school year. Students do not have to be enrolled in the Bachelor of Media Studies to submit, as long as the work submitted is related to the field of media studies, including:
- media theory
- media analysis (film analysis, new media analysis, art critiques, information policy/visualization or journalism research)
- creative works (art, prose, photography, video/audio works and new media/blended media)
Update: The submissions deadline has been extended.
Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Friday, January 20, 2022.
The subject line should be as follows: [first name] [last name] – [year] Beacon Submission.
Submissions that are from non-UBC students or do not fulfill the expectations set below will not be accepted or reviewed.
- Our team will keep the creators’ identities anonymous to our group of editors to ensure a fair selection and editing process. To make this process easier, please remove your name from submitted files prior to submission.
- Submissions must be the original work of the author related to the theme of Media or Communications.
- Submissions must have been made while at UBC. It can be course work or extra-curricular work that’s informed by Media Studies.
- Creators are strongly encouraged to review their works before submitting them, and to use any feedback they may have received to strengthen their submissions.
- Our board of editors will work with creators of selected works to further refine and improve their creations before publication.
- .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, etc.
- Link to an external site such as SoundCloud, YouTube, etc.
- Link to an external site such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- Works larger than 10MB should be submitted as links via Dropbox, Google Drive, WeTransfer, etc. Please ensure that all links are correct and unbroken.
- Include an Artist’s Statement (250 – 500 words) that provides an introduction to your work.
- Submissions should engage with a topic related to Media Studies
- 1,000 – 4,000 words (excluding bibliography)
- .doc/.docx format
- Times New Roman
- 1” Margin
- MLA or APA Citation